Build a Team
You may have friends, family members or work colleagues who are interested in playing Baseball too. Why not establish your own Baseball team?
While every member of a Baseball team must be able to bat, a team requires people with different skills and abilities to fill the key defensive positions when fielding. These positions are divided into infield and outfield positions.
The infield positions, which are the fielding team's first line of defence, are: pitcher, catcher, 1st base, 2nd base, 3rd base and shortstop.
Infield players are responsible for fielding ground balls, catching fly balls, throwing to various bases, covering bases, backing up and tagging runners.
The 4 common qualities that characterise a good infielder are:
- Ability to be focused and alert on every pitch thrown
- An eagerness and aggressiveness to go after the ball
- Good reflexes and the ability to move quickly in all directions
- No fear of hard hit balls or oncoming base runners.
While the outfield is sometimes considered less demanding than the infield, a strong defensive outfield will execute important outs. The key positions in the outfield are: left field, centre field and right field.
Outfield players are responsible for catching fly balls, fielding ground balls, throwing to infielders at various bases including home plate, coverings bases from time to time and backing up.
The 3 common qualities that characterize a good outfielder are:
- Ability to position themselves properly for different batters and different situations
- Fast reaction to the batted ball and good judgment
- A strong accurate throw.
Pitcher and catcher
The most important positions in a team are the pitcher and catcher. A good pitcher can have a significant impact on a game and a good catcher controls all defensive plays.
A good pitcher will have the following attributes:
- Athleticism, strength and flexibility
- High level of skill development
- Ability to throw the ball accurately and at speed
- Dedication and motivation to put the time and effort in to learn the proper pitching mechanics
- Determination, resilience and mental toughness to overcome set-backs
- Coach-ability, a willingness to listen to advice and to be receptive to new techniques
- Self control, relaxed, focused and able to deal with the pressures of being a pitcher
- Attitude and ability to thrive under constant pressure.
The catcher is the team's leader on the field. They have the entire field in front of them and control the defence. A good catcher will have the following attributes:
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Ability to read and react to all situations
- Explosive power, strength, agility and flexibility
- Strong and accurate throw, with a quick release
- Knowledge of the game and game sense
- Ability to build the pitcher's confidence
- Ability to identify a batter's weakness
- Determination and the ability to take control under pressure